Monday, September 17, 2007

Hello Again



We are in the middle of the Jewish High Holidays at the moment. Last week we had the New Year celebration of Rosh Hashunah where you pray to be inscribed into the Book of Life for the next year. Next weekend we will atone for our sins of the past year during a holiday called Yom Kippur. This is the one where we fast, for 24 hours and pray for forgiveness. The actual idea is to let nothing, including eating, distract you from your task. It's pretty serious. I take it seriously. I'm still trying to be a better person.

I took off from Steve Gearhart's funeral through the beginning of the High Holidays. This next week I'll do my usual running around and then celebrate Yom Kipper next weekend.

In the meantime, the World has continued turning, the markets keep climbing their Wall of Worry, although they really look like they are set for a fall after Tuesday's Fed meeting to me. More cheating has been found in Sports, this time the New England Patriots were found to be stealing defensive signals from the New York Jets during a game, and fined heavily by the National Football League. The Business Press speculated that this type of behavior was actually accepted in the business world. Naturally, this will also be subject to interpretation. On the other hand, the concept of "Win At All Costs" was not a mantra for almost every endeavor when I was growing up.

To end on a high note, I put the picture of the California Sequoia in for James Burnett's wife. It is one of three that I planted around the house in August of 1973, the month we moved in here. The cardinals have a nest in one of the small trees around the base of the Sequoia somewhere, I don't want to go looking for it and disturb them. I'm happy where they are. Just trying to leave the campground better than the way we found it.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a religious person, but the concept of self examination is a very good one. I figure I can always learn to do something better, wiser, kinder or with more empathy.

Love the sequoia--beautiful!

Margaret said...

Anonymous was Sophie--not sure why it didn't leave my name.

redheadhasspoken.blogspot.com

WanderingGirl said...

I love the sequoia! The cardinals obviously have very good taste!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm gonna have to plant a sequoia. Lovely tree!

The CEO said...

Hi Sophie, I enjoy your blog. I also have two more Sequoias just like that one on the property.

WG, yeah, the cardinals are really picky. The bushier, the better.

Franki, I'll be on the lookout if one of them throws a shoot.

M@ said...

Happy Rosh Hashunah, CEO!

The CEO said...

Thanks M@, and Happy New Year to you too!

Odat said...

Hello again to you too! Nice to see you again! ;-)
That tree is gorgeous!
Peace

The CEO said...

Odat, there are days that I think I could have been a Druid. I'd have to look into starting the local branch.

Anonymous said...

Happy High Holy days!

Glamourpuss said...

Trees are good.

Puss

cmhl said...

have a wonderful week, CEO!!! love the tree.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Happy New Year, Monty.

I had no idea Sequoia would live in Maryland. I have a small one that I bought at Muir Woods, a Giant Redwood forest in Marin County, several years ago. He will outlive all of us.

The CEO said...

Pool, l'shauna tovah

Puss, I adore trees, we plant more all the time.

CMHL, I'm behind with you. I love the tree too. Happy New Year.

Happy New Year, Susan. I have three Sequoias around the house. I love the trees. We also have Japanese red maples, silver lace maples, magnolias, a couple of evergreens, several oaks, and a bunch of others. Trees are good!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Monty,

Please pick up an award at my place.

Coffee will be served.

Wicked H said...

Our holidays overlap this year.

Happy Holidays to you my Brother!

I am headed straight to H-E double hockey sticks, oh well.

:-)

The CEO said...

Thank you , Hearts!

Happy Holidays, Sister. We ought to celebrate together.