Friday, February 22, 2008

Dinner Last Night

Why make a big deal out of dinner last night? Because it was so yummy, and because I made it happen on the fly while caught in traffic (a constant commuting state of existence these days) and we quit after a mere ten hour day. As I was driving the hour it takes to go 17 miles from my office to my house, I started daydreaming (multi-tasking, naturally) about the sushi you see below as I was driving.



So I got my wife on the phone and asked her if she would be offended if I took her to dinner at her favorite Chinese restaurant. Her only question was if she should meet me at the restaurant or at home first. When you have been married since the beginning of recorded history plus two days, you learn to do some things well with your wife.

The tray on the left is called Spider Roll and is made with soft shell crab and crab leg. It is so delicious that I order it and something else to go with it. They put a sauce on it that I can't describe, but I invite you to come join me. You too, Puss. The tray on the right is Dragon Roll. If you look carefully, you can see the layer of eel and avocado on top of the roll, and the greenish caviar on the 'head' of the dragon. Even Judy, who doesn't particularly care for sushi rolls like the dragon when I made her a piece that was half eel and half avocado.

The beauty of this restaurant is that Judy can get great Chinese food, and I can get great sushi. Everyone's happy! We both get soup, she likes their egg drop soup, I get the hot and sour soup. We're totally compatible. As a 'friend with privileges', it's a good time to see if she's like to exercise her privileges now.

16 comments:

MrsG said...

Ah, what beautiful food!! I love sushi. :-)

Glamourpuss said...

Chinese food? No way. I can't bear it. And sushi? I haven't eaten that since I was in Japan - after 24hrs travelling - including flying through a tornado, I arrived at my host's house only to be taken out for sushi. Blech. Haven't touched it since.

But it looks very pretty!

And I'm glad you enjoyed it!

And I hope you got privileges. Or benefits!

Puss

Alison said...

Oh, I LOVE Spider Roll! Mmmm. Lovely photos. And it sounds like a lovely dinner.

Odat said...

Hmmm...no thanks..to sushi...sorry, but I just don't like it...but I'm glad you got to have it. Eel????????????????????
Peace

M@ said...

That looks like great sushi! I tried making it at home once....

Unknown said...

I'm a simple G, give me a spicy tuna roll (or two...or three) and I'm all set. Those do look pretty though!

WanderingGirl said...

Tease!

PhoenixHearse said...

When I first saw the picture, I thought you had made it at home and my thought was, "wow, what cool little plates to serve them on".

Echomouse said...

A restaurant which caters to both of your different tastes...awesome!

Open Grove Claudia said...

Spider Roll? Dragon Roll? These are my two absolute favorite sushi - yummy. Arg! I'm hungry just looking at them! YUM!!

How's the new job going?

MJ said...

I AM IN .... always up for a plate of sushi !! My new fav thing is squid salad ... I think they infuse it with crack .. because I can't ever seem to get enough

Open Grove Claudia said...

Hey - I tagged you for a message in the bottle meme - it's pretty fun - and I'd love to see what you have to add! :)

Lee said...

Yes those are beautifully plated aren't they?! Yum!

The CEO said...

Amy, we certainly agree on that!

Puss, not only does she have benefits, she has the checkbook. The Golden Bull is 5 minutes one way, and Nick's Chop House is 6 minutes the other way from my house. No one is ever forced to eat food they don't like in my 'home'.

Alison, stop by the next time you're near DC and we'll get some.

Odat, I'll take you and Puss out for steak and 'goodies'.

M@, it can't be that hard to make sushi. I'll bet MJ can make sushi.

Wng, when you come to town for one of the Inauguration Balls next January 20th, we'll see about getting some sushi together

Tiff, we've been waiting for you for the 'fine dining' binge.

Heather, welcome back. I'm glad to see you again. You could probably make neat plates out of polished used car parts that would dazzle.

Carrie, I'm plotting for the day we get you down here.

Claudia, we're working 12-14 hour days, and I am studying for certifications on the side. That's why I haven't been blogging much. When people look for someone smart, I'm sending them to you.

MJ, I just assumed you to be IN, with me, you're always IN.

Claudia, I'm writing today, your meme is high on the list.

Lee, I am formally inviting you for sushi. It tastes even better than it looks. C'mon down, girl. Bring a friend or a couple of children, or come alone.

Lee said...

Monty, I'm trying to work it in, I swear...life has got me by a choke chain.

Anonymous said...

Looks tastey. But I'm a big food fraidy cat, and am unsure I could coax myself to go for the eel. I know, big baby. I'll go for drunken noodles anytime though!