Saturday, September 27, 2008

Today Is A Big Anniversary

I have a few adopted sisters Wicked H and her sister Brain Surgeon (BS) {Happy Birthday BS, you don't look a day over 25} who shares a birthday with me as they add grace and charm and elegance to my already blessed life. Yet today is also the fifth anniversary of the day I quit smoking.

I had snapped the humerus (the big bone between the elbow and the shoulder) on my left arm. The surgeon told me after a month that if I didn't quit smoking,the bone would never grow back. I stopped smoking that day after decades of a 3-4 pack daily habit. I used the patch. The first two days were terrible, so I slept a lot. After the first four days, the nicotine is basically gone, and the patch satisfies your nicotine needs. You then step down with the patch. I actually skipped the last step.

In five years, I have not touched a cigarette, much less been close enough to smell smoke. It's not a risk I am willing to take. I like winning too much.

Birthday wishes for BS can be left here or at Wicked's blog Eyes Averted. We like to keep it in the family, you know.

10 comments:

Wicked H said...

Well A Very Healthy and Happy Anniversary to you on top of Birthday wishes!!

More resilient than the Marlboro Man, Kudos!

Echomouse said...

Okay, so it's your birthday AND your anniversary of quitting smoking?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

And just in time, I finally got the Teddy videos up for you. lol

Quitting smoking...currently trying. Again. I have to get much more serious with this. Huge Kudos to you for doing it so quickly.

Wicked H said...

The Redskins, they beat Dallas in Dallas for you! You're welcome!

Yee & Ha!

Monty said...

Hi Wicked, thinking martinis, no cigars for me or BS.

Hi Carrie, I have never beat up on another smoker. I enjoyed it, loved the taste, etc. But the surgeon said I'd never get the use of my arm back, and I almost didn't anyway since they put a 9 inch plate in a year later. Turns out I had osteopenia, low calcium. It made sense for me to quit smoking. But, I'm no zealot. I prefer cats.

Yo Wicked, maybe the first martini should be burgundy and gold!

Glamourpuss said...

Congratulations. I've now stopped counting how long ago I gave up smoking - something that was unimaginable to me when I did smoke, so well done.

Puss

NoRegrets said...

Wow, what an incredible combination - bday and kickin' the habit... enjoy yourself!

The CEO said...

Hi Puss, that's the anniversary I'm looking for, the one when it isn't a big deal anymore.

Hi Heather, thank you very much.

Hi NoR, thanks the end of September is a very special time. Something we share.

WanderingGirl said...

Oh, late Peppy birdlegs! See what I miss when I go to weddings?

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Happy birthdays all around, and many congratulations to you for kicking the nasty habit.

I guess that broken bone was one of those blessings in disguise my mother always spoke of. I'm proud of you!

Anonymous said...

In December 2004, a study was published by the Nicotine & Tobacco Research Journal that alarmed physicians. This U.S survey suggests that despite years of consumer education in print and TV ads and in-office patient education, the great majority of smokers are misinformed about the health risks of their habit. http://www.chantixhome.com/