Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Never Give Up

Yesterday, CNBC ran a story about a diver who was partially swallowed by a great white shark. The shark had bitten into his mask and didn't penetrate the mask, although it had quite a bit of the man in it's mouth. The man got the shark to let him go by jamming his thumb in it's eye.

Sunday night, a young woman on Donald Trump's TV show "The Apprentice" quit the show before going back to the "Boardroom" and fighting for her 'job'. Her argument was that she had signed up for what she had experienced during the show. Trump tried to talk her out of it. He even told her that she would look back on this later in her life and regret the decision. In this case, I believe that Trump is absolutely correct.

I have a good friend who has struggled to keep her marriage together for several years now. She got her husband to attend therapy sessions. One day recently, her husband decided to stop going to therapy since it was a waste of time. In other words, he quit. There's kids at stake, and he quit. He didn't offer to try a different therapist, he just quit.

I'm an egalitarian. Everyone is equal, we just develop differently. Prove to me that you aren't equal, and you aren't. My friend is a winner. She will emerge better and stronger from this, and I will always be her friend. Her adversary.....Pluto is a dwarf now, but you knew that didn't you.

12 comments:

Pickled Olives said...

I don't ever want to be so close to a shark I need to decide to poke it in its eye to survive. And that goes for Donald Trump too.

Sometimes the best thing is a new chapter in your life. Your friend is lucky to have a good friend to go through that new chapter with.

Glamourpuss said...

I can't bear quitters.

Maybe your pal should stick her thumb in her husband's eye. Might shock him out of his complacency at least.

Puss

Wicked H said...

Helpful hint for your friend: I understand sharks enjoy snacking on dwarfs.

The CEO said...

Olives, you are the best.

Puss, I'm with you, except I wouldn't stick a thumb in his eye to get his attention. Maybe a hammer....

Wicked, you know better than me in these heavy matters.

M@ said...

Her sun is rising in Leo, though.

cmhl said...

thank you, ceo...

for those of you that may be new to the morning meeting, the CEO is a quality guy. in addition to being brilliant and witty, he is difficult to offend (and believe me, I have inadvertently tried), will discuss the finer nuances of the theories of Christianity or republicanism (though he is neither), and is able to try to see through the posturing and defense mechanisms of an extremely difficult antagonist without automatically siding with the protagonist. The CEO is quality folk.

Crankster said...

This was a great post. You set up a solid case, but let your readers fill in the blanks. Thanks!

Claudia said...

Well...I am sure we don't know the full story...like why did he quit and does he even want to stay married? If he doesn't, she is so much better off without him...it'll be hard but she's a fighter and will get through it seems. However, I think Pluto deserves better than to be compared to..that! (poor Pluto!)

The CEO said...

Matt, you are so right.

CMHL, no comment. Thank you.

Crankster, thank you, Sir.

Claudia, you are now 6 feet tall, exactly, and a gorgeous blond. Teach me to take pictures underwater, after you teach me to take pictures in the air, please.

mist1 said...

Some of us are more equal than others.

Lee said...

Shark was just hungry. Trump is a bully. And so sorry about your friend. Sometimes it's easier to be the one to give up than the one be given up on.

Odat said...

That post hit me right in the heart for reasons I don't want to get into here...
Peace