Wednesday, December 27, 2006

In Memory of Gerald Ford


Gerald Ford (1913-2006) died Tuesday. The 38th President of the United States, President Ford has the distinction of returning dignity, honor and respect to the Presidency after the disgrace of the previous administration. In Ford's own words, America's "long nightmare had ended."

Mr. Ford ran the country out in the open in contrast to the previous administration. Mr. Ford probably cost himself the election by pardoning Richard Nixon of all crimes, thereby ending the Watergate Affair for the nation, once and for all. It was an act that required enormous heroism on Ford's part, and he has gone down in history for making the decision to heal the country at his personal expense. Mr. Ford remains the only unelected President to have ever served.

9 comments:

Pickled Olives said...

Thank you for the wonderful reminder.

Tom Bailey said...

Nice way to look at history. Excellent points. I connected to you through another blog.

Anonymous said...

I am related to Gerald Ford by marriage-- 2nd cousins. that is my little tidbit for the day.

Lee said...

Alas, I am an ignorant fool. I think I am more affected by the death of James Brown.

The CEO said...

The Ford Administration was actually a lot more, but it's because of my love of Economics. The end of an era of Keynesian Economic Policy that started in the Depression is starting, and the beginning of the Freedman Economic Policy will be starting.

I wish I knew enough to have written a memorial to James brown, I just really like his music.

Echomouse said...

I'm more upset about Ford's passing than James Brown's but both are sad losses.

I always liked Gerald Ford so much.

Crankster said...

Ford is the first president I remember. He always struck me as a decent person who was somewhat overwhelmed by the greatness thrust upon him.

Cindy said...

I'm just as surprised as you are. I didn't even know Ford was still alive.

Cindy said...

Tom Bailey was on my blog too. I am not sure if he connected to you through me, or me through you. It is a mystery that only Tom can solve.